Flower Garden Ideas and Tips
Are you seeking useful flower garden ideas and tips?
Everyone loves a lovely flower garden. A flower garden is adaptable to each individual, whether in size, color, or season of the flowers growing.
From apartments to mansions, there is a flower garden for everyone. Aside from the simple beauty and fragrance of having a flower garden, they also attract all sorts of beneficial insects to your yard or patio.
Every season has a unique assortment of flowers for every garden. There are flowers that take inordinate time and care, and there are simple wildflowers that need hardly any attention at all. Whatever you decide, this article will help you get started on the perfect flower garden for you.
How to Start a Flower Garden
Here are a few simple flower garden ideas and tips for starting your very own flower garden.
- Pick your flowers. Start by looking through the numerous gardening magazines on the market, researching online, or simply driving around your town and checking out the neighbor's flower gardens for inspiration.
- The next tip of our flower garden ideas, is to pick your season. Do you want a summer flower garden only? Or do you prefer to see your blooms in the spring or fall? Perhaps a little of each is more to your liking. There are flowers for every season, and even decorative assortments for winter. Check any gardening store to find out what zone you are in, make sure the flowers you would like to grow are suited to your area before purchasing, and plan accordingly.
- Be prepared. Gardening of even the simplest of flowers needs some tools, such as hand trowels, hand rakes, and sprinklers for your hose. Make sure you have all the tools you will need before starting. If you are planting in pots, remember that it takes special soil for flowers to thrive in a potted container. Your local garden shop is a wealth of information and they are always happy to share their knowledge and flower garden ideas with beginner gardeners.
- Location, location, location. Each flower has a requirement for the amount of sun and water that it needs. Some plants thrive in the full sun with little water, while others need full shade and lots of moist soil. After you have picked your spot for the flower garden, watch it for a few days to determine how much sun it gets, and if it is morning or afternoon sun. They are different. Make sure the flowers you pick are adaptable to the spot you have chosen.
- Water is a must for almost all flowers, and regular watering will make your flowers happy. A useful flower garden idea is to research fertilizers or plant foods, as this might be something you want to try to ensure long lasting blooming from your flowers.
Tips for a Flower Garden
The following flower garden ideas and tips will help you maintain a beautiful flower garden.
- Spend time in your garden. When you spend time in your flower garden, you will find that you start to notice things such as a pesky weed, if the soil feels a little dry, if there have been insects enjoying a meal off of your favorite rose, etc. When you notice these things, you can attend to them before any real damage is done to your lovely flowers.
- Keep your flower garden as weed free as possible. Weeds will choke off the roots of your flowers, steal precious nutrients from the soil, and steal their water as well as sunlight. Keeping your garden weed-free will help in producing happy, bountiful flowers.
- Mixing and matching perennials with annuals is another cool flower garden idea for maintaining a fabulous flower garden. Perennial flowers bloom for several years, while annual flowers last only for one season. Mixing them gives your flower garden an extra boost when the weather is at its optimum. Also spread your flowers out through each season, having some early spring bloomers, right through to fall asters and chrysanthemums. You will find that by spacing your blooms out through each season, you will make your yard home to hummingbirds and butterflies galore.
- Flowers will propagate endlessly if you deadhead old wilted blooms. Just pop the old bloom off between your thumb and forefinger; you don't even need clippers for most blooms. The more you deadhead, the more your flower will bloom.
- An important flower garden idea is to learn about your insects - which ones are bad and which ones you want hanging around. Don't worry about butterflies, beetles and bees in your garden, as they act as little fertilizer agents. Dung beetles, sowbugs, lacewings and dragonflies are good for flower gardens. Aphids and slugs, on the other hand, will destroy all of your hard work overnight if you let them. There are many organic and non-organic ways to control the bad insects, and again your local garden store will be a wealth of information for you, as will the internet.
Now, you can start to get going on your new flower garden. There are enough flower garden ideas and tips here for you to improve your garden and make it a beautiful one. Have fun!
Read More: Gardens for Beauty | Other Garden Ideas | Home Page | Site Search
What Are YOUR Favorite Flower Garden Ideas and Tips?
Do YOU have in mind some great flower garden ideas and tips? Share and write about these tips and ideas for flower gardens and gardening here!
Click here for more pages and articles on Gardens for Beauty.
Get a health-promoting or eco-friendly gift for someone special. Thousands of choices available. $5 or $10 discount for new customers.
Some Related Gardens for Beauty Pages
Flower Garden Ideas and Tips
Lawn Garden Care - Great Tips for Having a Lawn that Everyone Will Envy
Build a Water Garden - Useful Pointers, Tips and Ideas
Garden Pond Design - Tips and Ideas You Could Explore
Water Garden Ponds - Pointers, Tips and Ideas
Homemade Pond Filter - Tips, Steps and Ideas
Return from this page to Garden Ideas for Growing and Enjoying Plants
Return from this page Flower Garden Ideas and Tips to 101 Inspirational Ideas... tips for life and self improvement... Home Page